Here is a list of the books that we think every new mom should read. Yes, it may take time and energy out of their already busy schedule, but these books are sure to help new moms understand their little one even better and provide them with advice and ideas that will help them become the supermom they dream of being!
For the Curious Mom
This book goes through different milestones that your child will hit from birth to about 1.5 years old. It will explain the changes, behaviours that may accompany that change and activities or ways to encourage your child during the milestone. It is very interesting and helpful for new moms to have some inside knowledge on what their child is going through.
Here is what indigo.ca has to say about it…
“The worldwide bestseller and multiple award winning-The Wonder Weeks. How to stimulate your baby’s mental development and help him turn his 10 predictable, great, fussy phases into magical leaps forward describes the incredible mental developmental changes (leaps) and regression periods that all babies go through. Understanding the real reason behind crying, eating and sleeping problems is the only real solution every parent needs. The Wonder Weeks reveals what’s going on inside baby’s mind. The book includes:
-Week-by-week guide to baby’s behavior
-When to expect the fussy behavior, what this implies (cranky, clingy, crying (the three C’s) behavior) and how to deal with these regression periods (leaps)
-A description from your baby’s perspective of the world around him and how you can understand the changes he’s going through
-Fun games and gentle activities you can do with your child
The book is based on the scientific- and parental-world-changing discovery of a phenomenon: all normal, healthy babies appear to be more fussy at very nearly the same ages, regression periods, and sleep less in these phases. These age-related fluctuations in need for body contact and attention (regression periods) are related to major and quite dramatic changes in the brains of the children. These changes enable a baby to enter a whole new perceptual world and, as a consequence, to learn many new skills. This should be a reason for celebration, but as far as the baby is concerned these changes are bewildering. He’s taken aback-everything has changed overnight. It is as if he has woken up on a strange planet. He needs you to guide him and understand what he is going through! Get ready to rediscover the world all over again with your baby…”
For the Mom Needing Sleep
Every new parent is in search of one thing….sleep! This book gives great solutions and techniques to try and get your little one sleeping through the night as quick as possible. It is every parents dream! The tips in this book are incredibly helpful and work with kids from birth to age 5. Highly recommended!
What indigo.ca had to say about it…
Finally, kids do come with instructions!
Surprisingly simple steps to boost your little child’s sleep fast!
Dr. Harvey Karp made doctors applaud and parents cheer with his brilliant solutions to centuries-old problems such as colic and tantrums. Now, in The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep, he works his magic once again on the #1 parent complaint: exhaustion! Dr. Karp’s surprising insights include:
– Why parents should always wake their sleeping babies when they ease them into bed!
– How a new type of white noise can boost your baby’s or toddler’s sleep by 1 to 2 hours!
– Easy “no-cry” tips that end infant and toddler bedtime struggles in just days!
– Plus dozens more foolproof tips that have helped thousands of families turn nighttime shrieks into nightlong slumber.
For the Breastfeeding Mom
This book has the most comprehensive collection of knowledge on breastfeeding available on the market today. Created by the La Leche League, it is filled with all the knowledge that every breastfeeding mom will ever need.
What indigo.ca says about it…
“It’s no secret that breastfeeding is the normal, healthy way to nourish and nurture your baby. Dedicated to supporting nursing and expectant mothers, the internationally respected La Leche League has set the standard for educating and empowering mothers in this natural art for generations. Now their classic bestselling guide has been retooled, refocused, and updated for today’s mothers and lifestyles. Working mothers, stay-at-home moms, single moms, and mothers of multiples will all benefit from the book’s range of nursing advice, stories, and information—from preparing for breastfeeding during pregnancy to feeding cues, from nursing positions to expressing and storing breast milk. With all-new photos and illustrations, this ultimate support bible offers
• real-mom wisdom on breastfeeding comfortably—from avoiding sore nipples to simply enjoying the amazing bonding experience
• new insights into old approaches toward latching and attaching, ages and stages, and answers to the most-asked questions
• strategies for moms who choose to breastfeed for a short time or who plan to nurse for a year or more
• reassuring information on nursing after a C-section or delivery complications
• recent scientific data that highlight the many lifelong health benefits of breastfeeding
• helpful tips for building your support network—at home or when back at work
• nursing special-needs infants, premies, multiples, and how to thrive no matter what curveball life throws
• guidance on breast health issues, weight gain, day care, colic, postpartum depression, food allergies, and medications
Plus—Internet references for further information, including La Leche League support sites and groups.
Mothers bringing babies into a new world want sustainable, healthy, positive ways to help their children blossom and thrive. There is no better beginning for your baby than the womanly art of breastfeeding.”
For the Mom Needing a Laugh
This book gives moms a hilarious insight into what it is like to be a mom. It will give moms a laugh when they are in need.
Here is what indigo.ca has to say about it…
“Jenny McCarthy’s hilarious, no-holds-barred personality has made her an instantly recognizable TV personality and a bestselling author. In Baby Laughs she examines the full range of challenges that new mothers face, including:
* The humiliations of postnatal “numbing spray,” Tucks medicated pads, and adult diapers; jelly belly, balding, and gum disease; and becoming a “five-foot puke rag” for the baby
* Heart-stopping terrors, such as baby manicures, breathing checks, and burp failures
* Inadequacies, such as lullaby illiteracy and the need for a “heavy rotation” of toys, videos, and mobiles
* Daddy antics, such as infant wrestling, home-movie mania, sleeping like a log, and expecting sex
* Dueling grandmas, germ-ridden guests, Olympic-class competitive mommies, anorexic pets— and much more.
Mothers and fathers will find much-needed relief and insight in this sometimes touching, sometimes gritty, but always perceptive and outrageously funny account of what it truly means to have your very own small bundle of joy.”
For the Answer Seeking Mom
Did you love “What to Expect When Your Expecting”? If so you’ll love this book, written by the same author and in the exact same format. It will answer all of the questions you have about your child’s first year and become your go-to reference book when anything child related pops up.
Here is what indigo had to say about it…
“Some things about babies, happily, will never change. They still arrive warm, cuddly, soft, and smelling impossibly sweet. But how moms and dads care for their brand-new bundles of baby joy has changed-and now, so has the new-baby bible.
Announcing the completely revised third edition of What to Expect the First Year. With over 10.5 million copies in print,First Year is the world’s best-selling, best-loved guide to the instructions that babies don’t come with, but should. And now, it’s better than ever. Every parent’s must-have/go-to is completely updated.
Keeping the trademark month-by-month format that allows parents to take the potentially overwhelming first year one step at a time, First Year is easier-to-read, faster-to-flip-through, and new-family-friendlier than ever-packed with even more practical tips, realistic advice, and relatable, accessible information than before. Illustrations are new, too.
Among the changes: Baby care fundamentals-crib and sleep safety, feeding, vitamin supplements-are revised to reflect the most recent guidelines. Breastfeeding gets more coverage, too, from getting started to keeping it going. Hot-button topics and trends are tackled: attachment parenting, sleep training, early potty learning (elimination communication), baby-led weaning, and green parenting (from cloth diapers to non-toxic furniture). An all-new chapter on buying for baby helps parents navigate through today’s dizzying gamut of baby products, nursery items, and gear. Also new: tips on preparing homemade baby food, the latest recommendations on starting solids, research on the impact of screen time (TVs, tablets, apps, computers), and “For Parents” boxes that focus on mom’s and dad’s needs. Throughout, topics are organized more intuitively than ever, for the best user experience possible.”
We hope you love our list and try something from the list! If you love this post please…
- Check us out at http://www.wordsofamom.com
- “Like” us at http://www.facebook.com/wordsofamom
- “Follow” us at http://www.twitter.com/wordsofamom1
- “Follow” us at http://www.pinterest.com/wordsofamom
*Disclaimer – This post contains affiliate links. We only promote promote products that we truly love and from places that offer exceptional services and prices.